How to adjust/reduce air gap on Delphi V5 clutch

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

How to adjust/reduce air gap on Delphi V5 clutch

Postby srponies » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:07 am

I am replacing the clutch and bearing/pulley on a V5 compressor. Application is 1999 Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 . I removed the shaft nut, clutch plate, snapring, then pulley and bearing. Installed new parts. The "air gap" should be .020", but I am getting .050. There were no shims or washers anywhere. The only way I can see changing the gap is to use a thinner snapring and pull the pulley/bearing out closer to the end of the shaft. Or maybe using a thin ring/shim that goes under the nut and tightens the clutch plate more. It would have to be a ring, not a washer, because the nut seems to be bottoming out on the shaft where the taper starts (hope you can picture that).

Any ideas how this is done? :?:

Thanks,
Steve
srponies

Re: How to adjust/reduce air gap on Delphi V5 clutch

Postby GM Tech » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:42 am

The nut has NO effect on air gap-- it is only there to assure the shaft key stays in. You adjust the air gap by using the clutch tool to press the clutch onto the shaft-- you can press it down to the .020" gap you desire.

The nut does bottom out on the shaft end- and is not used to press on the clutch. get the clutch tool (borrow it from Autozone) and do the job right.

How did you pull the clutch off? wit a clutch puller tool? if so, use that same tool to press the clutch back on...it reverses and you use the threads to grab onto the shaft after you remove the little insert....

I hope you did not hammer the clutch onto the shaft- ths will break the inner thrust bearngs if you did.
'95 Chevy 3500 454 Dually 142,000 miles
'94 Chevy Astro Van 358,000 miles!
'86 Buick Park Ave 192,000 miles
'86 GMC S-15 Pick-up 150,000 miles
'92 Chevy Lumina Van - 265,000 miles- given to me to see how far it can go! all above are white!
GM Tech

Postby srponies » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:59 am

Ok thanks. I'll have to check the tools again. I did borrow/rent every A/C clutch tool that Autozone had. I used the spanner wrench, the clutch puller, the pulley puller. I was able to get the pulley/bearing on by hand, and the clutch plate started by alternating hand pressure until it was on enough for the nut. Then I used a nut and washer to draw it on the rest of the way.

I had an install tool from AZ, but the end of it that threads over the compressor shaft was too small. I will just check if I can use another tool to move the clutch farther. And/or I need to make another trip to AZ anyhow for a blower resistor.

Thanks again.
Steve
srponies

Postby GM Tech » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:17 am

The threaded end probably was not too small- you probably had the key in the way--the key has to be put halfwayin the bottom of clutch such that the threads are exposed to be able to thread the tool onto the shaft threads--otherwise you will think it doesn't fit or that it is "too small" I've done a couple thousand clutch installs in my life- never had a problem like you describe--once you get the knack it is pretty simple...
'95 Chevy 3500 454 Dually 142,000 miles
'94 Chevy Astro Van 358,000 miles!
'86 Buick Park Ave 192,000 miles
'86 GMC S-15 Pick-up 150,000 miles
'92 Chevy Lumina Van - 265,000 miles- given to me to see how far it can go! all above are white!
GM Tech

Postby srponies » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 pm

The internal threaded end was too small. It was the only installer that AZ had - I did find out it is supposed to be for Nippondenso compressors.

I went to Advance Auto. They have a great A/C tool kit for rent/borrow. It has numerous removers, installers, and has some orifice tube tools. I was able to use the correct installer to achieve the .020 air gap. Put 12v to the coil and it worked great. Then vac'd and charged the system and it works great.

The only problem with the system is that the A/C button does not stay depressed when you press it. Thee A/C comes on if you hold the button down. The A/C also works in the recirc mode and the defrost mode. I am going to look into a replacement button or complete climate control unit.

Thanks,
Steve
srponies

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions