1994 Ford Ranger What Refrigerant

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

1994 Ford Ranger What Refrigerant

Postby lbones » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:56 am

I searched the web and this board (haven't been here in a long time but great to be back!) but no luck, Was the '94 Ranger still R12 or had Ford switched it to 134a? I'm asking cause I might buy a 94 but haven't gone to look at it. Thanks for any help!
lbones

Re: 1994 Ford Ranger What Refrigerant

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Welcome back!

In 1993 the production of NEW R-12 ceased but a few vehicles used it into 1994 but not many. It could be either and now old enough it could be converted and should be marked.

At any rate you should be able to tell by the fittings. R-12 use threaded fittings and the 134-a always used the quick connect Acme fitting and you should be able to see if they are adaptors or original. Sticker if still there would say what it was originally.

Where I am it's hard to know if a system is working as it's mid Winter where I am. You can usually get a clue by running heater full blast till it's way too hot inside car/vehicle. Shut down so engine heat fills engine area for a couple minutes and start up watching, touching - anything you can to see compressor engage quietly, and carefully feel for warm outlet line with now A/C on full blast. It can't really tell that it's perfect but a good clue that it's operational.

It would cycle off quickly if cold ambients prevailed as it would normally in cold weather. If above 60-70F you have a chance of more knowledge of if it can work well.

Suggest that if the vehicle you are considering has R-12 and is in nice shape that you don't pass it up over this. Within the same model year they could have used either and switched mid year,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby Nacho » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Worst case scenario: the 94 Ranger has R12. The hardware in the vehicle is fully compatible with R134a with minor modifications.
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby Cusser » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:43 pm

Remember, R-12 is still legal to use in USA for vehicles originally built to use it, and can be bought with inexpensive certification. R-12 is somewhat more expensive, but more economical usually to stay with it than switch over. The issue is that many shops have seen so few R-12 vehicles the past few years that it doesn't pay for them to also have the required R-12 recovery set-up, etc.

Myself: I'm down to only one R-12 vehicle.
Cusser

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions