2006 VW Jetta

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

2006 VW Jetta

Postby ctsmith » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:59 pm

I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI that has an underperforming R-134a Sanden AC unit. When at 2000 rpm, my system pressures are 25-27 psi low, 240-250 high but with a cold air temperature of about 57F with the fan on high, recirc on and windows down and outside temperature at 85F. All measurements in my garage out of the direct sunlight. I just recently discovered one of my radiator cooling fans (small one) was not working and have replaced it. Both are working now. I have checked the evaporator temperature probe and it seems to be in working order (1090 ohms at room temp and shows a decrease in resistance with increasing temperature).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and, of course, if I've left off some critical information, let me know and I will set about to get it for you.

Thanks in advance.
Charlie Smith
ctsmith

Favorite Refrigerant: R-134a

Re: 2006 VW Jetta

Postby cm5400 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Your high side is still too high. Have you cleaned the condenser of all bugs, road grime, debris? At that high side pressure, both fans should be on high mode; are they? Try misting the condenser with water and see if the temps and pressures drop...
Disclaimer: I am not an a/c expert, I know just enough to be dangerous. :twisted:
In God we trust, all others pay cash.
cm5400
Site Admin

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby ctsmith » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:17 am

I haven't pressure washed the condenser, but it is reasonably clean. No heavy build-ups. Both fans are operating in low speed mode. I will try misting but it will be next Tue or Wed before I will have an opportunity to report back.

Thanks.
ctsmith

Postby Nacho » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 am

Since your A/C must have been running around with only one fan, chances are you need to help dissipate heat from the condenser. Turn on the A/C on max, second fan speed. Spray water generously all over the condenser for about a minute. See if this improves cooling. Not the low side...does it flutctuate rapidly?
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby ctsmith » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I cannot select manually the engine coolant fan speeds. The ECU selects that for me and it is running on low speed. So I have no choice there. I will try misting with water to see what happens. Although I can say it does not get really cold at highway speeds and that is what it seems you are trying to simulate with misting water on the condenser; accelerated rate of heat dissipation.

Thanks,
Charlie
ctsmith

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions