1998 BMW 528I Correct Pressure Readings?

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

1998 BMW 528I Correct Pressure Readings?

Postby AC4me » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:25 am

:D

Hello.

It's been quite a number of years. (I just went to the "old board" and found the link to this new board). Great site here...!

Can someone tell me the appx pressures for the low and high sides for a 1998 E-39 BMW 528I ? (It's actually going to be about 90 here tomorrow).

Every now and again, I like to "throw" the gauges on. Cooling seems to be working properly. Not exactly quite as "ice cold" as it usually is but vent temps are still really good. I'm just curious to see if it may perhaps be a bit low on charge. (Car has about 130K on it).

I noticed last year that cooling was a bit less than it usually was but it is still comfortable. I did notice that the belt is due for replacement (which I'm doing tomorrow). Since the compressor has it's own belt, perhaps I may be getting a little slipping.

Just for some additional info: The fan clutch was just replaced when I replaced the radiator last month. I took the opportunity to "blow out" some of the debris etc. Airflow through the condenser is like a brand new car, electric fan (2 speed) is functioning properly. I'd just like to put the gauges on to check things out.

Thanks. I'm so glad to see this new board.... Very modern..
AC4me

Postby Atomic Punk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:21 pm

low side pressure is directly related to tempature of evaporator and high side will be about 2.2 to 2.4 times ambient air temp
Atomic Punk

Favorite Refrigerant: Bud Light

Thanks

Postby AC4me » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:00 am

Thanks.

That's exactly what I needed. I got tied up today but I want to put the gauges on after I replace the belt..
AC4me

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions