Help with a '92 Chevy S-10 blazer A/C problem

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

Help with a '92 Chevy S-10 blazer A/C problem

Postby Bamaslamma » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:57 am

I just want to get some ideas on what the problem with my system could be. At idle the air temp from the vents (about 53 degrees F) is coolish but not cold. The ambient temp is about 85 degrees F. I hooked up a gauge to the system and it reads about 35 lbs. on the low side. The compressor is not cycling so I'm pretty sure it's got enough freon (R-12) in it. It gets colder when I'm riding down the road. The motor is running at normal temp. The guy at the parts store says I may have a blocked orifice tube. Any other opinions?
Robert Wakeman
Bamaslamma

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:00 am

A new quality fan clutch would only help. Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:24 am

The guys at the parts store sells parts..or he'd be fixing cars, you will need both pressures taken to determine the charge..They don't cool well unless they are fully charged. As Tom said, a new fan clutch w;ll help, and pressures should be taken after it is changed..Easy to get at your O tube..In the highside near the acumulator..should be hot getting to it, and cold right after it..High side pressures are the only way to tell if it's clogged..Hope this helps

Postby Bamaslamma » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:13 pm

I felt the lines coming into and out of the air handler. The orifice tube is at the bottom. The high side line feels warm but the line going into the air handler is only coolish as is the line from the accumulator/dryer to the compressor. As for the high side pressure, some genius at GM thought, "Naah, they won't need to know that" and put a sealed high side fitting on it so I can't hook up the high side gauge. I assume the compressor (R-4 type) is still in good shape because it runs smooth and quiet with no knocking or rattling noises. I checked the fan clutch. It has good resistance when spinning the fan with the motor off. At idle, it seems to have good airflow.
Bamaslamma

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:20 pm

You need the GM high side adaptor for 91 to 93 GM..Then you can get the both pressures..Any parts store should have them.. You can e-mail me if you can't find one..Hope this helps.

Postby Bamaslamma » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:03 pm

Is the adaptor for R-12 or R-134a? Can it be installed without losing my freon charge? how does it install? My R-12 gauge set has the same connector on all three hoses (I could use it to charge up the HVAC unit for the house if it ever needed it).
Bamaslamma

Postby Bamaslamma » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:06 pm

What would the normal high side pressure be?
Bamaslamma

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:13 pm

Bamaslamma wrote:Is the adaptor for R-12 or R-134a? Can it be installed without losing my freon charge? how does it install? My R-12 gauge set has the same connector on all three hoses (I could use it to charge up the HVAC unit for the house if it ever needed it).

The adaptor is for the R12 port....If you retrofitted it, you would use a standard R134a port that screws in the line..The adaptor is for the GM 91 to 93 R12 high side deep throat ports and is used on the manifold set in place of the small reguilar R12 adaptor which does not have the deep depressor..Hope this helps.

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:11 pm

If you convert you will lose all your R-12 (to be recovered). - and replaced with 134a.

You can expect the high side pressure to be about 2.2 times ambient temp and low # will be temp dependant at between about 25 -45. You must start from a full vacuum, ester oil is compatible with the old oil but don't use too much if you didn't flush out the old oil. 4 oz should be about right.

Careful of poor instructions if you buy a kit. Get help here as the last one I saw was lacking terribly in good info.
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby Bamaslamma » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:51 pm

If I have to open it up, I'll probably convert. The GM A/C systems I've seen that were converted to R-134a all seem to work extremely well. I've seen a 1988 Caprice Classic that was converted and blowing 38 degrees F in 90 degree ambient. Same performance for a 1991 S-10 truck which has the exact same A/C system as my Blazer.
Bamaslamma

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions