95 Honda Civic, almost new system, High side too high HELP!!

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

95 Honda Civic, almost new system, High side too high HELP!!

Postby og slow eg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:07 am

So I changed out my whole system almost besides my compressor (I am using a Nippondenso compressor off a 1999 Integra). I got a new expansion valve, evaporator, drier, and condenser. I flushed all the hoses with laquer thinner and blew all of them out with compressed air. Changed all the orings to all new ones. Then I emptied the compressor of all the oil. Then added about 3-4 oz to the compressor, some in the drier, and some in the condenser. 8oz total of Texaco PAG 46 synethic. I vacuum'ed the system for 2 hours with a Robinair Air Vac vacuum and pulled an almost prefect 30Hg. Let it sit over night and stayed the same, no leaks! Vacuumed it for another 30 minutes the next morning. So i moved on to charging the system in vacuum. I got the 2 cans ready i needed (2 12oz virgin R134a with nothing in them besides r134). I purged the air out of the line until i saw a clear shot of R134. Then I flooded the system as advised here (http://www.autoclimas.com/Refrigerant%20charge.php). Next I turned on the car and a/c to full blast.

Fan works, compressor clicks on.

The high side went to 300-350+!! and low was like 40. Outside temperature was 87 F and the middle vent temperture was 72 with the doors open.

Whats wrong!!! I need A/C, Miami is toooooooo friggin hot!!! I have another used compressor laying around that im pretty sure works

Another question, can I mix synethic PAG 46 with regular PAG 46?

TIA
og slow eg

Postby Ray Breazeale » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:30 am

:?: Is your condenser fans running down by the radiator?
Ray Breazeale

Postby og slow eg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:38 am

Ray Breazeale wrote::?: Is your condenser fans running down by the radiator?

I dont get what you are trying to say. Heres a pic. The fans are blowing in the right direction (air is getting sucked from the front through the condenser to the motor)

Condenser is on the right of the radiator
og slow eg

Postby Ray Breazeale » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:52 am

Does your honda have a two speed fan for condenser? My acura does. Spray some water on the condenser with AC on and watch the high side if it drops like a stone you have a fan problem or a general air flow problem. Do that and post back.
Ray Breazeale

Postby og slow eg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:56 pm

Ray Breazeale wrote:Does your honda have a two speed fan for condenser? My acura does. Spray some water on the condenser with AC on and watch the high side if it drops like a stone you have a fan problem or a general air flow problem. Do that and post back.

okay, did that and it did drop really fast.....drove it to school today and it wasnt cold at all.
og slow eg

Postby Ray Breazeale » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:37 pm

:?: Did you put in both cans of 134 ? Your systems calls for 18oz also does it sound like condenser fan is fan is running on high speed ? When you mist the condenser with water did it cool?
Ray Breazeale

Postby og slow eg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:59 pm

Ray Breazeale wrote::?: Did you put in both cans of 134 ? Your systems calls for 18oz also does it sound like condenser fan is fan is running on high speed ? When you mist the condenser with water did it cool?

I Put in only about 1 1/2 cans because I didnt finish the second can. I think the fan speed stayed the same. I stop charging once i saw around 250 on the high side. I mist it after I saw 250.

could the pressure switch it bad? or the relys near the condenser?
og slow eg

Postby Ray Breazeale » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:12 pm

Yes it could .My acura has a separate relay for high speed fan.You need to feel the lines going to and coming from condenser should be hot . You should see pressures more like 220 high and 30 low it is sure sounding like it's overcharged.Are the lines on the compresser getting hot and cold? Did you check to make sure your damper doors under the dash are working right ?I e hot cold on temp handle?
Ray Breazeale

Postby og slow eg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Ray Breazeale wrote:Yes it could .My acura has a separate relay for high speed fan.You need to feel the lines going to and coming from condenser should be hot . You should see pressures more like 220 high and 30 low it is sure sounding like it's overcharged.Are the lines on the compresser getting hot and cold? Did you check to make sure your damper doors under the dash are working right ?I e hot cold on temp handle?

Man, I have no idea. Imma gonna take it to a shop.....too many headaches and problems so far and not to mention money.
og slow eg

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions