1997 Thunderbird Compressor just quit

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

1997 Thunderbird Compressor just quit

Postby awajetfxer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:29 pm

I drove the car to work in the morning and the a/c compressor worked fine, got in the car in the evening and the a/c did not work. The fan is blowing but the compressor is not kicking on.

Any suggestions?
awajetfxer

Compr not kicking on

Postby Warren Willingham » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:57 pm

[b]Hey fixer, it would help to know a few other things about your situation. The first thing I would try is to make sure the clutch is connected. Wires come loose. If you have the capability, measure the voltage to the coil with the plug pulled. There's a million that can be done but I'll start here. If there is 12 volts to the coil, see if the hub pulls in. If it doesn't, very carefully tap the front plate. The best thing to start with is gauge readings. Without the clutch or compressor turning we can tell what charge is in it and whether a leak has lost enough gas to activate low pressure proection. Anyway there's a few hints to get started. Post back if these mean nothing to you. We'll go in a different direction. Welcome to the new board. I'm very pumped up to see all the folks coming over. Seeya
Warren Willingham
Warren Willingham

Favorite Refrigerant: Icewater

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:02 am

Aslo try jumping the cycling switch on theacumulator..If the compressor grabs and blows cold, change the switch..Hope this helps.

Tbird compressor not running

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:47 am

The most common cause is a failure in the low pressure cycling switch. This switch is located by the accumulator and has a brown stem screwed into a service port. Tap the silver ring with a screwdriver and see if this gets the compressor running again. If it does, replace the switch. If not, check your system pressures and all related fuses inside the engine control box under the hood.
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions