99 Mitsubishi Galant BIG hole in compressor!!!

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

99 Mitsubishi Galant BIG hole in compressor!!!

Postby doodman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:36 pm

I have no idea how this hole got in the compressor! Looks almost like it was a manufacture defect waiting to happen! Anyway.....

I've got to get another compressor, found one at a salvage yard for $100.

After reading lots of stuff on the web, I understand that the first thing I have to do is flush the system with the old compress off?

I also read it's a VERY good idea to get a new accumulator too, is that a good idea?

How does one get all the moisture out of the system before the coolant stuff is added?

I'll have to refer to the chilton manual to see how much oil to add to the system when the parts are installed.

Anyone have any other tips for an A/C novice? Thanks in advace!

Bruce L
doodman

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:45 pm

Have seen a few scroll compressors with holes in them from a bearing letting go, but anyway, you should change the drier, flush the system, add back the proper amount and type of oil, and a vacuum needs to be pulled to remove the air and moisture, then recharge the system amount of refrigerant into the vacuum..Hope this helps..

Feel free to e-mail if you need details on flushing and vac/charge

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:50 pm

Chick wrote:Have seen a few scroll compressors with holes in them from a bearing letting go, but anyway, you should change the drier, flush the system, add back the proper amount and type of oil, and a vacuum needs to be pulled to remove the air and moisture, then recharge the system amount of refrigerant into the vacuum..Hope this helps..

Feel free to e-mail if you need details on flushing and vac/charge

Thanks for the reply!! The drier is the same thing as the accumulator right? Sorry :) I'm new at AC!!! THanks again!

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:58 pm

Yes, driers are on the high side,(expansion valve system) acumulators on the low side.(O tube system).Hope this helps.

Salvage Compressor

Postby James » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:09 am

Take the salvage compressor and turn it upside down to let the old oil run out of it (this may take 1/2 hour, oil flows slowly). Then the following is how you flush it using new oil, and only new oil; pour about 4 ounces of new oil in it, turn the whole compressor in all different directions (each one lasting about 10 minutes). The goal here is in a sense to wash out the compressor. Then turn the clutch about 20 times and turn it upside down to let the oil run out again for about 30 minutes. Then fill the compressor again with about 4 to 5 ounces of oil from the systems recommended total, tape over where the line connections go, and stand it up on the clutch for about 30 minutes. These steps will help to get the seals well lubricated. The biggest problem with a seemingly good compressor from a salvage yard or one that has been just sitting a long time is that the seals dry out and are damaged upon initial use. The above steps will help to prevent any damage. Once it has stood on the clutch for about 1/2 hour it is time to install and connect the lines. Once done, then turn the clutch (shaft) for about 30 times this will additionally help oil the seals and move the oil out of the compressor and into the lines. From here you are done with the compressor.
James

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions