What should 10 year old used PAG oil look like?

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

What should 10 year old used PAG oil look like?

Postby Foxgoku » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on getting an A/C system up and running in a VW touareg. I was planning on just replacing the N280 valve, RCV, but then decided on the entire compressor, since I got scared into thinking the compressor died. Either way, I would be replacing the drier cartridge before I'm ready to recharge. My question is, does this 10 year old oil from the compressor seem normal? I would lean to it being normal for ten years based on how quickly engine oil ends up looking. Should I just empty the used compressor of the oil refill and replace the drier? Any direction would be great. Thanks and please feel free to ask any further questions.

Foxgoku

Favorite Refrigerant: R-134a

Re: What should 10 year old used PAG oil look like?

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 am

Welcome: First please note this board will be closed to archives soon and move to here > https://forum.aircondition.com/ <

The key question is what SHOULD it look like at 10 years? IDK - the pics show plastic may have reacted or the surface colored it? Glass jar and filter it for particles would be better for a debris problem that may be why you are there at all.

Why are you there? 10 years alone means a lot or a little still based on months of use and how hard during a whole year and the miles.

Since you are "going for it" if you will go ahead and flush it and toss the condenser as well as it really can't be cleaned out and dried with much certainty or none if debris inside it wont flush out and act more like a filter either slowly or quickly not exchange heat.

It's not quite the same as engine exposure and harshness to oil as an engine is also carrying combustion contaminants to be filtered and routinely changed where you don't fir A/C.

Starting from new now just go for it all. Know your specs and capacities for an empty system and procedures for initial start up listed above in the knowledge base.

Please know I've been told this spot is supposed to be closed to archives and remain "read only" so this should stay here just not active for posting or replies at some point unknown to me exactly when.

Good luck. Pay attention to all details.

BTW - that oil at a glance appear black which isn't good but may not be the whole reason?

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Re: What should 10 year old used PAG oil look like?

Postby Nacho » Fri May 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Should look clear. Do ot put any cent into that compressor
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions