Delco A-6 shaft seals.

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

Delco A-6 shaft seals.

Postby cornbinder89 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:43 pm

I am going to replace a leaking shaft seal on my A-6 in a commercial truck. Unlike the seals I have done in the past on an A-6 the seal supplied is a rubber lip type seal not a face seal of ceramic or steel. Its been 30 years since I did one, but my concerns are this:
With the face seal, the sealing surface was replaced with the seal, where-as a lip seal rides on the shaft and can wear the shaft. I can see where a lip seal may initially provide a better (more positive) seal but my concerns are "down the road"
I notice that some mfg (MEI) still offer the ceramic or steel face seal
Where this compressor is used in a semi and run many hrs a year, far more than most cars will see in 8-9 years, do I risk the shaft on a lip type seal, and would I be better off with the old face seal? I know that the face seal will tend to leak a bit more than a lip seal, but it will not wear the shaft as it has no part that rides (wears) directly on the shaft.
Given that the A-6 is a dinosaur, and out of production, and I expect to be trucking for another 10 years or so, would I be better off with the face seal tech?
What say those that replace seals for a living? I have no inclination to replace the whole compressor with a re-man for a seal leak, and with the quality of some re-mans, when I get a good one I want to keep it.
cornbinder89

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Re: Delco A-6 shaft seals.

Postby cornbinder89 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Also, if I am going to use a face seal, do you have a recommendation on steel vs. ceramic as both seam available?
cornbinder89

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm not going to know which is better or advised for certain conditions it would be exposed to. Nacho would know off the top of his head. Because this joint is so slow I doubt he's by often or much at all but could contact him off site if you wish he has responded,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby cornbinder89 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:34 pm

E mailed "Nacho" and his recommendation was the original face seal in steel. He too has heard of people using the lip seal from later compressors, but said in never worked for him.
I'm posting this in case it helps others, and again, thank you Ignacio for your wisdom.
He also recomended running it for a while after install to seat the two parts of the seal together. His comment was if you just re-seal and charge the system, but don't run it, it will slowly leak, running beds the two parts of the seal together.
cornbinder89

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:37 pm

I knew he would know that easily. I gave up but like you would probably have to for an A-6 but none in the stable so low chances of needing to.

Good luck. Said somewhere I gave it up with the first one, another type I spend all day being so clean and careful to have it leak worse than before I started!

I don't think they make an easier one than that either so pretty disappointed,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby cornbinder89 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:06 am

Got around to doing the seal, so far so good, but time will tell. I forgot how hard it is working "down in the hole" to see that the snap-ring is seated, once you get the seal, snap ring and snap ring pliers in the hole, there isn't much room to see that it is in the groove.
The unit was low on oil, not empty but below the test/drain plug, so topped it up and lube the seal before installing. Held vacuum and charged it. Of course there was an electrical gremlin to track down to get the compressor to turn on. Hit a deer over the winter and it was right where all the electrical cables come down from the cab to the chassis.
Couldn't see and reason it was leaking, but there was plenty of oil on the clutch, so it was leaking there. The seal look good but there are 2 o rings that also need to seal, one seals the ceramic or steel portion to the case and the other seals the rotating carbon portion of the seal to the shaft. Either of these could have leaked as well as the seal.
It was 70 deg here today, and last (A week ago) Friday I needed chains on my drive axle to come home! crazy!
cornbinder89

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:59 am

Sure sounds like a total success - great. Same here with weather - 75F recently and maybe a dip to zero tonite! Soon it will be use heat and A/C in the same day like a nut!

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby cornbinder89 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Got into some 80 deg weather this week and the A/C was great, had to turn it down or it was too cold.
On another note, core prices for genuine A-6's are rising as they become less plentiful. Clutches are going for a lot of money, so am buying used units when they show up cheap for the clutches and for overhaul/re-seals. Problem is you don't know what you are getting, the last one I bought sat open for a long time (older non-switch head unit) and had some moisture inside. I had to "buff" a little rust off the reed valves with some oil. I only buy those that will rotate 360 degs, which is no guarantee that it is "buildable" but I have one or two that were blown up for parts like read valves, valve plates and such. I have one that was run with a loose key that took out the wobble-plate shaft but other wise was usable. Finding internal parts is hit or miss, sometimes they are available and others not. With the ball and seats being a selective fit, and not having a large supply of seat sizes to choose from, I am looking for units that the wobble-plate and pistons are in useable condition.
cornbinder89

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Been a while since I've been to this place in person specializing in antique to classic Lincolns only but used A-6s in around the 70s.

Not cheap and might even have NOS new in box! It's in CT not all that far from me with some restorations for a couple. Still there has the largest collection of sorted parts new and used about anything but just Lincolns 1961-2002.

Site lacks IMO. Worth a look noting listed but not surprised either. I'd try "contact us" or look for the phone # in current site...........

http://www.bakersauto.com/

Was of a few 860-928-9228 not all that long ago. Next time I'm out I'll look locally a declining biz only keeps vehicles a short time now too costly to keep over 10 year olds as almost everything driven is too rusted out if used here don't last that long so less interest in older than that,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby cornbinder89 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:44 pm

On the Baker's site he list an A-6 for $169 which isn't a bad price for a overhauled unit. I am looking in the $35 + shipping range! (just cheap I guess). I only want to keep one or two on hand for swapping in if need be. At my price, even if the unit is bad it is worth that for the clutch and coil. Always helps to have a unit to rob parts from.
A few years ago I picked up a 6 3/4" NOS A-6 pulley. These were common on AG equipment using the A-6 and some trucks. Now I find they are looked for by the HP restorers of Corvette's and other muscle cars and bring big bucks! I could have purchased 4 or more for around $50 a unit, and sold for many times that price.
For me, it is more a hobby than a business venture, so I can afford to wait and pick the "low hanging fruit" when I comes up for sale.
cornbinder89

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Was a 69 Continental and a 1979 last year of the real full size Lincoln still a Continental the Town Car was an option package not the name of the whole car. Not the point but they used A-6 compressors in the '79 near sure and a bit older too. Not the '69 was that lawnmower York I think it is called.

Neither of those cars needed diddle for A/C work at all.

That place, Baker's was super helpful finding hard to get NOS FoMoCo bagged stuff for trim and details for cars most folks wouldn't care about fine details.

They are just Ford products just the same using once GM designs for some things as car companies do.

Hey buddy, if you are happy with the price and shipping or costs to have a highly likely real good one go for it. Owner or sub owner's name is listed = Steve Ouellette (say Woolette) was great! First name basis for my projects for a while.

Just a plug for them they are #1 in the world TMK for fitting the convertible tops on the famous 4 door convertibles of Lincolns in the 1960s which was cool as whole thing disappeared into the trunk like car was made without a roof at all. Good luck if you go for it,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions