Relocating Low Side Port to Pressure Switch Location

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

Re: Relocating Low Side Port to Pressure Switch Location

Postby CleanSC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:03 pm

There's only one line which is easy enough to pull and take somewhere to get fitted with a service port. And that's the short rubber line posted above.

It's an easy part to remove, and if I can get someone to crimp in a port in the center of that, I'd be golden.

The aluminum line is LONG and requires extensive dissassembly of the entire car to get out. It's 25 years old, and I fear it wouldn't survive the removal process, much less seal right when I got it back in. I'd really rather let that sleeping dog lie. New ones of those as you can expect are NOT cheap.

Are we ok with the rubber line getting a new port crimped in?
CleanSC

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby cornbinder89 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Yes, as long as there is a section of hose that is relatively straight. The fitting with add several inches and in a straight line. So if it is a straight run, you can cut some hose out to make up for what you are adding. That was what I 1st thought of when I first responded to this thread.
cornbinder89

Postby CleanSC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 pm

They have a curve to them, but I've seen the service port crimp on sections that come curved as well.

I'll ask at the local place.

So what's the best way to decommission the old service port that gets a lot of heat (leak potential)? A dummy schrader valve (solid) would be great, not sure if that exists. Screw that in, cap it well and be done with it. Do they make metal port caps for R12 that seal really well/permanently?
CleanSC

Postby CleanSC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Just got off the phone with a local place. I mentioned my hose, he said no problem, he can crimp it.

I then mentioned the curve, and he said it's better to then braze on a port on the short aluminum section of line before it transitions to rubber. $20 for the port and the brazing.

Done. Looks like this is the solution.

Thanks, all!
CleanSC

Postby cornbinder89 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 pm

CleanSC wrote:They have a curve to them, but I've seen the service port crimp on sections that come curved as well.

I'll ask at the local place.

So what's the best way to decommission the old service port that gets a lot of heat (leak potential)? A dummy schrader valve (solid) would be great, not sure if that exists. Screw that in, cap it well and be done with it. Do they make metal port caps for R12 that seal really well/permanently?

Yes they make caps out of brass or aluminum that have an O ring that seats on the flare and makes a good seal, some also have loctite on the threads (made for 134a conversions, to 'decommission" an R12 port) If the flare is like that O ring fitting you can get a O ring plug to seal it off as well. If you have an old reciever/drier sometimes they have these plugs in them for an unused switch port.
cornbinder89

Postby CleanSC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 am

I found these:

https://www.es-refrigerants.com/products/w/id/529/t/r12-r22-r502-brass-14quot;-service-port-caps-hex-head/details.asp

I'm assuming this will seal up the port nice and tight, regardless of schrader condition? I want to seal that sucker off and never think about that old port again. MAN it's in a bear of a location.
CleanSC

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:09 am

If you can once more just get a superior cap for the old port if a Schrader leave it. Life of those unknown. Avoid any installation of "ball" valve types.

The end all seal for a port really is a good cap! Many will "spit test bubble a bit"

Good luck,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby johnbkobb » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Would this work?? It is used for refrigerator servicing of refrigerant.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BPV31-SUPCO-Bul ... SwopRYitUx
EPA 608 & 609 Certified / Burtchville Township, MI / kc8frw at gmail dot com / 1996 Chevy C3500 7.4L Dually 269,000 miles
johnbkobb

Favorite Refrigerant: R 12

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:58 pm

I'd say not suggesting for "vehicle" A/C nor even the thought of that. Vehicles of course subject to so many more extremes household or commercial refrigeration even rarely exposed to the torture a vehicle gets if the materials were even top notch,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby CleanSC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Ah, if only the saddle valve was an acceptable solution. :mrgreen: Trust me, early on, I had wished it was.
CleanSC

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:40 am

It would or could work. I just think it wouldn't last more than one season if that then you have a hose with a hole in it to deal with.

Think of the temp and climate a car is exposed to plus the bumps, vibrations, wild engine heat and more. Put your home refrigerator out in a trailer and see how long that would last! No, I haven't tested one and don't think I need to do that to find out,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Previous

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions