This Site Gone Slow?

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

This Site Gone Slow?

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi all and best wishes for the new year.

Just FYI and you can see it that this BB hasn't had much of any activity for quite some time. It actually does but the system is to be able to post you must answer a question that is simple and could be about anything even humorous but is only in the view of owner's and moderator's or doesn't show up.

It's been so long now I'm not sure who with the joy stick even stops by or has moved, lost interest or available at all anymore? Do check if you come by that you are logged in near top right or it will look similar just without your user name and no apparent new posts.

For the record this spot still gets spammed a lot and slowing down on that. It's still mostly smut and drug but could be about anything for a free ad or perhaps just on the list of sucker spots a concern could gather some unknown number of and automatically fill out sign up pages. You must come up with something as said or don't get in. There is no list of acceptable answers it's up to owners, moderators to decide and can delete that user name and or the ISP it came from indefinitely.

With that the spam is about gone but the site is inactive. I also don't know who pays for it to exist at all and isn't my business.

If you are all locked out for some reason and do want to get back in I can try but with limited ability to fix that. Sorry for the techno problem that was probably a mistake or some angry concern from so long ago it doesn't make sense.

In short - feel free to reply to this or try to start a new topic if only for a test. It could help fix or make the decision on whether this spot on the web is worth maintaining at all and hopefully just archived as read only information by known search engines so not a waste.

Take call all,

Tom Greenleaf
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Re: This Site Gone Slow?

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:01 am

Almost dead my friend
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby Cusser » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Typically slow this time of year.

If you guys choose to shut it down, be sure to provide your E-mail addresses to me for future help !!! Thanks.
Cusser

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 pm

A mess for sure. Cusserd others I do suggest using the private messages for personal information not this area as it's open web. Do check your messages and for space as that is limited.

Can't find WW (user name Warren Willingham) for a couple or more years now. CJB has a forum or used to and linked to this one I think. ACProf I haven't heard from in some time now.

Yes - I once had off site emails and or plain phone #s on those concerned that are listed here. It's not practical to post my own info other than what you see in a profile that each person put anything they want in.

IDK? Find me and possible help up to some good hard pro data where I am also which is a sign up site also at >>

http://autoforums.carjunky.com/ <<

Suggest keeping user names and at least I would recognize that. BTW it's English only there and techs mostly for the A/C section from me, NYC area and Florida.

I can't know even with moderator view if anyone else is taking out the junk and spam that does come daily now slowing down as well or others taking those out before they can be posted?

Also - being "Off Season" should only mean slower not dead. Plain having A/C working or not still gets wrecked in accidents and now many vehicles can't run without at least a good clutch bearing or dummy pulley in colder climates when A/C at it's expense at some point you don't fix it but need the car to run and can't bypass where a compressor is with just another belt.

Clearly I'm at a loss if I don't hear back from those with private information I thought was still active so in the dark as much as anyone about this spot on the web still,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby Cusser » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:53 pm

I knew Warren Willingham personally, bought an R4 compressor from him 2 decades ago. When he moved to a new AC Source shop in north Phoenix on Bell Road, he personally repaired the AC manifold on my '88 B2200 by welding on a new hose barb, did it while I waited (about 2003). Warren was not young then.

AC Prof lives a few miles from me but I've never met him. I know his real name and have an E-mail address for him, but don't know if that's current.

I haven't yet met up with Ignacio, but he's also helped me, and I have his E-mail information.
Cusser

Postby cornbinder89 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:44 pm

Still checking in from time to time, I hope it continues as I like to think about the complex problems, the more I am challenged the better I understand the system when I'm done.
cornbinder89

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:16 pm

I'll really miss the BRAIN power that has passed through this spot! Wow doesn't cut it.

Met just ACProf when up here and went to lunch here......
By the way that opened first in 1716 and kept looking as it would have then! Yup, Geo. Washington himself had been there!

Pictures fail but is incredibly old as much of New England is. This joint all fixed up by Henry Ford himself and all this just a mile or so from me! The driveway to the front door is in fact or was the original Boston Post Rd now Route 20 and has the distinction of being the longest continuous/contiguous road in all of the USA - Atlantic to Pacific!

He's the only one I've met of any of you. Sorry but Phoenix is a bit of a ride from here but have been there last time in 1967. Yikes time flies!

Site changed if you have been here as I see some joined in January, 2005 when site crashed out I think all was lost before that but was here when I came by in 2002 and much longer than that I think?

OK - If you want to find someone and think I may know the way is to contact me and I contact them with your information and if you don't hear direct from that person it ends. It's just not right to me to invade anyone's privacy.

Still no clue on the future of the place and haven't been for some time.

If it blows up it does so thank you all now and hope to meet up later someplace,

Tom Greenleaf
MetroWest, Boston

Postby cornbinder89 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:08 pm

I've driven most of US 20 with the exception of where it goes thru Yellowstone and one small section in OR which is not open to trucks, quite a road, showing the different aspects of this large country.
cornbinder89

Postby blue_can » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:59 am

I browse this forum once in a while. In general I don't visit forums as much as you used to - but input from the regulars here has been useful in troubleshooting/fixing ac issues on my vehicles.
blue_can

Favorite Refrigerant: R134A

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:58 am

Glad you posted as it proves REAL registered folks can. Just took out two spammers only, usually there's several a couple times a day.

Understood that the "forum" format and not being live as a tech exchange or already on some video some are OK and some total BS. If nothing else what is here isn't and hate to waste it.

This thread is just chat I guess now. I do suggest watch out for the totally unreal and WRONG info out there.

If time check out this total garbage by a very popular person on how to clean your catalytic converter with dishwasher soap! No problem (joking) note the converter is cut off apparently by torches which everyone has hanging around and of course can just weld it back on - oh really? !!

It's good for a laugh but shows also some people are convinced they can do this and save thousands.

This one > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE <

That's just a few minutes long but shows the bull out there and this person does also have some real demos of things that are OK but throw this in discredits anything else said on another subject so how can anyone sort that out?

Site still alive and still think I'm the only one watching it and cleaning up what will NOT show up unless approved which is usually such vulgar garbage just can't be let posted so what's here is still clean as far as I know and would ruin site for even archives.

Take care and hope some now older stuff can still help,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby blue_can » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:34 am

Unfortunately spammers are a big problem Tom - from email spam to spamming forums. Another forum I visit gets hit by spammers all the time and the mods are constantly deleting spam threads.

As far as being slow though - it would attribute that to the time of year as well - although I had to run the ac today in San Diego but now it is in the 40s tonight.

Also regards forums in general - many forum have moved onto things like groups on social media like Facebook. Also many people now use mobile devices to browse while on the move - if this forum is not mobile friendly that may slow traffic. Maybe consider some of those changes to this forum also with some better visibility to users when they search for ac help on places like Google?

Another thing specific to auto repair is that there are a lot of forums dedicated to specific makes and models of vehicles and many people tend to ask all related questions on there including ac questions. I think it is nice to have a forum like this dedicated to auto ac since it does require specific knowledge about ac but again I see many people ask about ac on auto related forums and in many cases don't always get the best advice.
blue_can

Favorite Refrigerant: R134A

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:28 am

? It's been slow for a couple years not just Summer or seasonal.

Just FYI, the moderator view show this is who's watching this right this second............

"Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], The Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests"

The "[Bot]" thing is just everything being posted is being archived in some manner. It's a private site and don't know if can totally expire to public view forever?

Which devices and media services can or can't show or work with this format is unknown to me personally but hard to miss that almost everyone has a hand held device of some sort now with limits chosen by each. Can't know that and if this format is the problem then let it be.

The never ending spam is always out to find any spot to stick free advertising by the zillions no matter what it is up to ruining the use of about anything and is a problem now and has shut this place down a few times before overwhelmed with it,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions