Flush Evaporator ?

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

Flush Evaporator ?

Postby DIYguy02 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:10 am

I am working on a GM air conditioner with a delco compressor. My suction line was leaking, and the compressor was going out. I decided to replace the other 2 hoses, condenser, and accumulator at the same time. ( everything but evaporator) I have all the old parts removed. Before I install everything I was wondering if I should flush the evaporator - it would be a major task to remove it from the hvac box. If I flush it in vehicle, do I need to worry about getting all the solvent removed when I blow it out with just my air compressor? I removed the orifice tube and it only had a little bit of residue around the bottom (largest) if the 5 screen sections, near the o-ring seal at the base.

My system takes 8.7 oz of oil ( 2.7 for compressor, 4 for accumulator, 1 for evaporator, 1 for condenser ). As I understand if you are doing individual component replacement, to just add the the proper amount to that component. In my case, should I add all of the needed oil to either the accumulator or compressor?

I plan to take it to a shop to get it evacuated/charged.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
DIYguy02

Favorite Refrigerant: 134a

Re: Flush Evaporator ?

Postby GM Tech » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:12 pm

I never flush-with anything else but refrigerant-for the reason you stated- never put anything in you don't want in there- it won't all come out--seen too many warranty returns come back smelling like turpentine.....
'95 Chevy 3500 454 Dually 142,000 miles
'94 Chevy Astro Van 358,000 miles!
'86 Buick Park Ave 192,000 miles
'86 GMC S-15 Pick-up 150,000 miles
'92 Chevy Lumina Van - 265,000 miles- given to me to see how far it can go! all above are white!
GM Tech

Re: Flush Evaporator ?

Postby DIYguy02 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:46 pm

Great - thanks for the tip.

Any guidance on where I add the needed oil for the new accumulator and condenser? I figure I would add 5 more oz for the new accumulator and condenser, I will check that the compressor comes with 2.7 oz and assume the evaporator retains 1 oz.
DIYguy02

Favorite Refrigerant: 134a

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions