2004 Jeep Liberty

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

2004 Jeep Liberty

Postby cdawley4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:50 am

Hi,

It has been a long time since I have posted here. I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty that I'm thinking the compressor or clutch may be bad. When I hooked up my manifold gauges, both low and high side show about 90psi. The system still has refrigerant in it. I tried to add refrigerant, but the compressor would never engage to allow refrigerant to go in. I did, however, find a blown fuse in the Power Distribution Center under the hood. I replaced it and was able to get voltage. The instant I connected it to the compressor/clutch, it blew the fuse.

Anyway, since I am reading 100psi on both high and low side gauges, could I be looking at a faulty compressor?

That gets to another problem. I bought my gauges from this site about 10 years ago to do readings and I think they were faulty out of the box. I was offered a new set, but never really got around to getting them back to the sales department for a replacement set

If it is the clutch that is bad, would it be worth it to go ahead and replace the whole compressor, accumulator, orfice tube, and o-rings/seals? Rock Auto sells a kit for about $180 that has everything I would need. The only thing I am missing is a good gauge set, vacuum pump, pag oil, and refrigerant.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris
cdawley4

Re: 2004 Jeep Liberty

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 am

Just ohm test the clutch coil. I think range is about 4.5 > 5.0 or so. Much more or a plain shorted coil would blow fuse and wouldn't engage. Unless you can't get at front of compressor and this is the trouble no need to mess with refrigerant.

Seek out whole new clutch - even used and set gap to .020 or so,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby Cusser » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:00 pm

I'd unplug the wire/harness at the compressor, see if the fuse then does not blow (you'd need to do this to check ohms resistance of the AC clutch anyway).

If the AC clutch tests bad (short to ground, essentially zero resistance), then IF the AC clutch can be pulled/replaced without removing the compressor from the engine (OK if one can unbolt compressor mount without removing the lines to get more room), then I would say to get a used or maybe new clutch for it. This depends on whether there is physical clearance/room to work, I can do this on my 1988 Mazda B2200 truck.
Cusser

Postby cdawley4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Ok, thanks for the replies. So if what I am understanding is correct, if the ohm test fails, then I can buy a clutch and replace, provided my a/c gauges are correct, and no need to mess with the refrigerant. So 100psi is a good indication that the system is not leaking somewhere? That would make sense, provided that the system worked about a week ago and now it doesn't.

Would the clutch not being able to cycle on and off burn up the compressor?
cdawley4

Postby cornbinder89 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:01 pm

A faulty clutch alone would not burn a compressor, a seized compressor can burn up a clutch. Make sure the compressor can turn before replaceing the clutch.
Also most A/C clutches now a days need some special tools to replace them. You might be able to rent them from an autoparts store.
cornbinder89

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby cdawley4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Is it easy to see if the compressor will turn? I am able to drive the vehicle and the pulley for the compressor turns, but it was sparking, like metal rubbing metal. Last time I drove the vehicle was yesterday, about a mile down the road to gas station. At that time, the serpentine belt shreaded. Needless to say, I need to replace the serpentine belt. Not a big deal, but now, I'm worried if driving it has possibly burnt up the compressor in the process.

On a side note, I would hate to buy a clutch and find put that the compressor is indeed bad, but on the other hand, I'd hate to know I could have replaced the clutch and the system be totally fine afterwards.

Thanks for the help and replies. It truly helps a lot.
cdawley4

Postby cornbinder89 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:46 pm

If you shredded the belt it very well could be a locked compressor or it could be a clutch bearing.
With the belt off the pulley should turn freely, the very front "plate" should be stationary (with no power to the clutch) you should be able to turn the front plate by hand, if not the compressor is locked and need to be replaced.
cornbinder89

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby cdawley4 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:38 am

Thanks for the reply. I will try to see if the compressor pulley turns by hand. If it does, I will proceed with ohm testing the clutch. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.
cdawley4

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions