R134 conversion

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

R134 conversion

Postby 93fox » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:09 am

I have a 1993 5.0 LX with original AC. It needs a recharge and i dont know what route i should take. Should i convert it and if so, whats the cheapest route. Is there a cost effective alternative to conversion? Should i replace any o rings?
93fox

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Re: R134 conversion

Postby Olds442 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:51 am

Stick with R-12. Thats what it was designed for and it will blow colder and no hassel with changing parts and guessing amount of refrigerant. :P
Olds442

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:45 am

Ditto - Just find the R-12 or shop that still works with it - some don't where I am.

What is this vehicle? Doesn't totally matter if made for R-12 keep it that way now.

Don't allow it to run while low and things last almost indefinably as oil is circulated when it cools properly not when going low on refrigerant it will still work some but you are hurting it to use it. Just listen to compressor you can tell.

1993 anything. It would normally lose gas at some rate. If a keeper vehicle pay attention, catch real issues right away it can works lots longer without a disaster,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby 93fox » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:04 am

How much would a R12 recharge cost. Would buying the R12A refrigerant i see on ebay and stuff be a good idea? http://www.frostycool.com/copy-of-frost ... nt-1x-can/
93fox

Postby 93fox » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:15 am

Also, should i just recharge it or address why it needs a recharge? I just got the stang and idk if there are other issues. Ways to diagnose?
93fox

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:49 am

Skip 12a as it has nothing to do with R-12.

Prices for real R-12 - look out there it's by market prices and how much you buy in what form, recovered or new old stock.

If made for R-12 already said keep it that. Canada if that's where you are isn't friendly for using or fixing R-12 so if way too much trouble consider options the easiest would be to convert to 134a.

It's a 93 something car you didn't say just LX is used on several vehicles.

Just by years if it's original mostly or totally it would have consumed some gas normally but you would sill find out how much it's down and try to figure how fast it leaks.

An original compressor would probably leak at its shaft seal and see oily evidence now, maybe not so a sniffer might find it along with other methods.

If it's barely cooling now and you are still using it you are harming the compressor now and might cause more problems than many '93 models of ordinary vehicles would be worth IMO,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Postby Cusser » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:50 pm

93fox wrote:Also, should i just recharge it or address why it needs a recharge? I just got the stang and idk if there are other issues. Ways to diagnose?

Tom Greenleaf wrote:Just by years if it's original mostly or totally it would have consumed some gas normally but you would sill find out how much it's down and try to figure how fast it leaks.

Above, plus all of Tom Greenleaf's advice. Find source of leak, and unless it's a VERY slow compressor seal leak, fix the leak. And agree to keep pure R-12 if legal in your country, legal for use and sale in USA. Do NOT add anything with a leak seal chemical - EVER !!!
Cusser

Postby 93fox » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:19 pm

Its a 1993 ford mustang lx 5.0. And alright, im located in texas. Ill try to find a shop.
93fox

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Actually good to be in Texas for this. R-12 is plentiful still TMK purchased by the pound recovered or some may still have new but a shop I doubt it.

TMK it's made new still just not in the "cooperating" countries that decided to quit making it and using it after model year 1993 the switch year it could have been either new.

Almost anyplace as big as Texas is you would want good working A/C and shops that routinely deal with it AND R-12 as well maybe not all?

In MA where I am almost nobody wants to have it if free as there are so few left it's not worth taking up space or servicing equipment that handles it properly.

At this point if any fast leaks found and fixed it's worth it for the cost of R-12. This is listed as holding 40oz of it OE new. So that's actually a larger capacity system than most newer cars larger than that but even if jacked up price was $100 a pound a shop would probably charge you $40 for 134a + conversion and whatever needs repair still may be on top.

A/C is costly so a few more bucks to have it behave like it was designed for is worth it. Actually could be less if they don't need to change out all hoses for "barrier hoses" and add a high pressure switch which you don't have now if done to exact legal switchover.

Good luck. Right shops should be plentiful for you,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby Cusser » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:03 pm

In Phoenix, my local independent mechanic still does R-12.

Since we don't have rust here, quite a few pre-1994 and collector vehicles.
Cusser

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions