Installing new compressor

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

Installing new compressor

Postby tdark » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:08 am

My Son's 2002 Chevy Tahoe with rear AC would not cool. He calls me and I drive to his place and take a look. I see the AC belt broke so I knew it was probably more than that.

I bought a new tensioner and belt. He started the truck and it was cooling but after about a minute I heard a loud noise coming from AC Compressor. It sounded like an engine with a main bearing knock so I had him turn it off.

I removed the low pressure wire so compressor would not kick in where he could still drive it and ordered a new compressor, Accumulator and orifice tube. I removed the freon and checked the orifice tube today and it looked like new. No metal in it. I think I am good as far as flushing the system because the oil that came from accumulator looks nice and clear and what little did come from compressor was clear.

Not the instructions on new AC Delco 15-21127 compressor said it comes with 8 oz of oil but to remove new oil in clean container and then removed oil from defective compressor and add the same amount back to new one . The old defective compressor had only a few drops in it so my question is how much do I add back to new one ? and do I add about an oz or two to accumulator ? I don't want two much oil as I know it will affect the cooling. I think I read where to remove new oil and add 4 oz back and about 2 oz in accumulator.

Again my thinking again is being the orifice tube is clean then maybe I could get by without flushing the system ?? Just not sure. Maybe some one can share good info with me on this ? I was told the Tahoe was cooling fine until it threw the belt but they didn't even know when that happened . Said they never hear the noise I heard and yes it was loud.

Just need to know the correct amount of oil to add to compressor and any other thing while I got it open. Again I think 4 oz is right amount to add when drained and 2 oz in accumulator but I want to be sure. I have a good vacuum pump and will let it run for at least an hour before I start the charging and make sure it holds the vacuum. Thanks for any help on this. It has been years since I last came here and I was glad to have found this forum again. Tom
tdark

Re: Installing new compressor

Postby Cusser » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:03 pm

I also had essentially zero oil in the compressor of my 2005 Yukon when I replaced its compressor in summer 2015. See this thread http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... aking+belt

Still working great.
Cusser

Postby tdark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:53 am

Thanks for that information. I am planning on installing the new parts tomorrow but I don't have the Murray Climate Control - The Deslugger . We have an O'reilly's here but it looks like that part is $69.99 plus tax. I did see when I looked on rockauto that one of the compressors listed mentioned the deslugger thing but I didn't have a clue what they were talking about until today. I watched the video this afternoon and it does make good sense to install this protection. I may as well go on and purchase the part to make sure my new compressor is protected. I may remove some of the oil from the compressor and add a few ounces to accumulator ?
tdark

Postby Cusser » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:45 pm

tdark wrote: I am planning on installing the new parts tomorrow but I don't have the Murray Climate Control - The Deslugger . We have an O'reilly's here but it looks like that part is $69.99 plus tax. I did see when I looked on rockauto that one of the compressors listed mentioned the deslugger thing but I didn't have a clue what they were talking about until today. I watched the video this afternoon and it does make good sense to install this protection. I may as well go on and purchase the part to make sure my new compressor is protected.

I got my deslugger from RockAuto, significantly less $$$ than local. I mounted it on the fender wall, plugged right in.

tdark wrote: I may remove some of the oil from the compressor and add a few ounces to accumulator ?

Just turn the compressor over with a wrench a bunch of times to get any extra oil out of it, before you do the evacuation and recharging. The oil will circulate through the system with the refrigerant. I believe that GM Tech says when building the vehicles, that all oil gets added to the compressor only, then the refrigerant is added by weight.
Cusser

Postby tdark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks so much for the information. Got the compressor installed and pulling a vacuum now. I will let you know how it works. Tom
tdark

Postby tdark » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:30 am

I looked at rockauto and didn't find the part number. Do you by chance remember it ? THANKS. Tom
tdark

Postby Cusser » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:02 pm

tdark wrote:I looked at rockauto and didn't find the part number. Do you by chance remember it ? THANKS. Tom

I looked it up . Four Seasons 36141
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/four+s ... relay,3180
$37.99
Cusser

Postby tdark » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks again. I ordered for insurance. I have the car cooling good but will no use it until I get this part. Tom
tdark

Postby Cusser » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:08 pm

tdark wrote:Thanks again. I ordered for insurance. I have the car cooling good but will no use it until I get this part. Tom

Tom - exactly why I got it for mine. Product got good reviews, and won MVAC engineering award, product of the year.
Cusser

Postby tdark » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Got the part installed. Tahoe is still throwing snowballs lol . Thanks for the heads up on this product. Nobody around here ever heard of this product but they have now. Again thanks for your help and all the others who posted on the tips about these vehicles. One thing I did notice was I had a hard time getting the orifice tube back in. I actually destroyed one before I was able to get one installed. I finally just tapped on it with a end wrench because I was irritated and it went in. I put ac oil on the o-ring but still had a hard time. Tom
tdark

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions