2006 Ford Freestyle Hi Suction Already Tried Your Fix, Nacho

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

2006 Ford Freestyle Hi Suction Already Tried Your Fix, Nacho

Postby jas88 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:47 pm

In 2010 I had this problem on my wife's FS (2005) and Nacho said try putting a 1/2" nut inside to compress the scroll valve (effectively making it a non-variable type compressor) and it worked! Today I was facing the same issue on my FS (2006) - lo-side about 60 at idle, hi side 200, ambient temp about 105F, both fans are running. So I put in the nut tonite just like last time and recharged, only this time I get the same results and the same pressures. I can rev up to about 2000RPM and get the lo side down to about 50 and that is it.

It's gotta be the compressor, doesn't it? The only other component I could see be at fault would be the TXV, but if that was the case, my rear air should be working as it has it's own TXV. No sale. Rear air temp at idle is about 65-70, just like the front. Thoughts? It's HOT here in Texas right now, need to get this fixed pretty fast.
jas88

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Re: 2006 Ford Freestyle Hi Suction Already Tried Your Fix, N

Postby cornbinder89 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:56 am

You can't rule out the TX valve as the rear would only get as cold as the low side pressure's boiling point. In other words, if the low side is at 60 PSI, the evaporator can't cool below 60 degs as that is the boil point at that pressure. Haveing said that, I don't think it is a Tx valve with pressure (lo side) that high, I would think it is a compressor problem. I'm no expert on these new systems.
cornbinder89

Postby Nacho » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Compressor may be worn, most likely. Before replacing it, if you have the time and patience, check how tightly secured is the RCV inside. Not TXV related, in my opinion.
Nacho

Postby cornbinder89 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 am

Nacho wrote:Compressor may be worn, most likely. Before replacing it, if you have the time and patience, check how tightly secured is the RCV inside. Not TXV related, in my opinion.

I agree, I was just trying to point out that with the low side that high, the coolest any evaporator could get would be the boiling temp at that pressure, you can't base the diagnosis of a component based on the temp or pressure alone. On paralle systems (duel evaporators) the coolest either can get is the boiling temp at the low side pressure, regardless of the Tx or orifice tube of either evaporator.
With the low side that high, it would point to a compressor that can not move enough volume, or no restriction between the high and low side (missing orifice tube etc)
cornbinder89

Postby jas88 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:09 pm

As I thought about what cornbinder said, I began to get worried it could be one or the other TXV stuck open. This would prevent the compressor from being able to pull enough suction to get the low side down across the system. My fears were unfounded, however. I replaced the compressor last night and it's working again. Low side at idle now 40 and will pull down to 35 at 1500rpm.

Nacho, what is RCV that you referred to?
jas88

Postby Nacho » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Refrigerant Control Valve = RCV
Nacho

Postby cornbinder89 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:41 pm

jas88 wrote:As I thought about what cornbinder said, I began to get worried it could be one or the other TXV stuck open. This would prevent the compressor from being able to pull enough suction to get the low side down across the system. My fears were unfounded, however. I replaced the compressor last night and it's working again. Low side at idle now 40 and will pull down to 35 at 1500rpm.

Nacho, what is RCV that you referred to?

Tx valves have a "range", they don't open to no or very low restriction, In the worse case, you would see frosting on the outlet of the evaporator as liquid refrigerant makes it all the way thru and beyond. That is why I said that I would suspect the compressor.
cornbinder89

Postby jas88 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Nacho wrote:Refrigerant Control Valve = RCV

Is this the same thing as the "scroll valve" in the compressor?
jas88

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions