2007 Civic 1.8 Both Fans and Compressor ALWAYS ON.

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

2007 Civic 1.8 Both Fans and Compressor ALWAYS ON.

Postby stimbiton » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Hello.

My 2007 Honda Civic just came up with a new issue. Pretty weird, unable to figure it out so far.

As soon as I turn the key in the ignition, both Radiator and Condenser Fan come on.

Once I start the car, the clutch shortly kicks in,
(tried swapping relays, same thing)

Does not matter what my controls on the panel are.

I tried playing with A/C button, does not change anything, its like the panel does not receive inputs or just somehow glitched in A/C always ON mode.

What do you think?

Thank you.
stimbiton

Favorite Refrigerant: R134-A

Re: 2007 Civic 1.8 Both Fans and Compressor ALWAYS ON.

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Got me! Any chance it's designed to do that? If stone cold I don't see why that would be of any befit only if stopped or a short time like to get fuel and start up again engine heat is hotter for a bit right then and might want fast cooler, coolant?

In short, not sure if normal,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby stimbiton » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Yeah, me too no clue.

Its definitely not designed to do that, no matter what i do, i cant turn off the fans or the compressor, unless i pull the relays/fuses out,that does the trick.

i am thinking my control module for a/c went nuts.

Thank you.
stimbiton

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:50 pm

It might have gone nuts? Same problem with me is something whacked happens and not sure if a car is supposed to do that or not.

I'm still lost on what to do about it. Put up with it and it may go away. That or pith the computer controls to default positions either required by probably a dealer or sometimes when negative battery cable has been disconnected at the risk of setting off alarms, losing memory for engine idle speed, presets for things you set so not suggested.

Lost? IDK - sorry,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby stimbiton » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Its all good Tom. You have helped me lots with other issues.
I am going to take your advice and let it run like that for a little bit, maybe let it go into winter time.
If it stays the same, i am going to attempt "Shot Gun" troubleshooting method, and replace either the Controller or the A/C Module.

As soon as I have any news, I will give the feedback.
stimbiton

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Just beware of harming a computerized car. There are things you set via tools only dealers would pay for. If your speedometer/odometer was all wrong with some used or replacement unit you'd need help or own stuff you don't want to own for tools.

Now just chat on the question, "Is this normal for this car?"

Done now (retired from this mostly) but spent a lifetime you don't own or drive every vehicle that comes your way. How the hell do I know how each an every feature works or it shut off/on or adjusted?

1/2 my whole life every radio worked the same way no matter a VW Bug or a Rolls Royce. Now controlled from steering wheels or back to on dash somewhere? WTFun or how is anyone driving a car the first time just supposed to know that?

My own now old truck the flucking interior lights (bought it to be stripped as a tractor to plow snow) stay on for so many minutes AFTER you close the door! Real cute when it's pouring out and like a good doobie wait in the rain till they go out to make sure!

The door is closed - lights off please! What freaking moron thought that would be handy? You know it get tons worse than that.

Love the early must fasten you seat belt crap or at least the shoulder one. Was working on a car that wasn't right electrically under the hood engine wise not that and reached in thru open window to turn key to just "run" to test where power was or was dropping out and the flipping belt (I'm not in this damn car) rolls me upside down securely belting me safely into the window ledge! Real safe feature - nobody is in the car - it's being worked on not driven or even started - nobody is going anywhere.

Electric cooling fans were once only on transverse (sideways) engines and many stayed on after you locked up and left the car or since heat rises when just turned off would come on all locked up without anyone around! This is not a funny feature for those so much as checking their own oil and a necktie or something drags them into a fan that decided to come on! There's been some real brilliance out there over a lot of decades.

In short - if you can take it, wait it out some. Better if you can find out if the unit you put in is different but fits and supposed to or is in error. That's why I just can't tell for each and every model of even the same makes something different for one year or model can cause total hair loss.

Have a great rest of the day,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby stimbiton » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Sorry for getting back just now guys. The issue is solved. I let it go for a little while, about a month or so, just like you suggested Tom. It was doing the same thing.

Problem Was: As soon as ignition is on, both auxiliary and cooling fan come on.
As soon as I start the vehicle, compressor also kicks in.

Solved By: Replacing the HVAC Controller. Air conditioning and heating controller, sorry do not know the proper name. Got one from the scrap yard, slaved it in, problem instantly went away.

Thank you for everyone's input!
Have a good day!
stimbiton

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Can't argue with fixed and good for you. Not always very easy to pinpoint the issue and used parts always a question but can be the only real choice.

You have a good day too!

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby Nacho » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:09 am

We've seen several Hondas with this problem, specially CRV and Accord. It always turned out to be the compressor relay. A customer got the control head replaced at the dealer to no avail.
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions