Gauge hoses

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

Gauge hoses

Postby huntindog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:15 am

I recently bought some new hoses for my gauge set... The man asked me how long I wanted them. I hadn't even considered length.. But I thought about it and my present hoses were sometime shorter than I would like, so I went with the 8 foot ones... When using them, I see a downside. When disconnecting the lines (r12) a lot more freon escapes.

Just how much do these lines hold?
huntindog

Favorite Refrigerant: r12

Re: Gauge hoses

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:28 am

Good question about how much refrigerant is in hoses and gauge sets at all. A. IDK.

It's always suggested to purge out hoses when you are going to use them to add refrigerant and I choose to vacuum them as needed with sets that can do either 12 or 134a.

Advantage to the long hoses is you could watch them on many with hood part closed perhaps held under a wiper to drive for unusual problems watch it live what it's doing.

Assorted vehicles put the dang low side port under and behind the front air dam and hard without some tricks to watch what you are doing if hoses not long enough.

Do purge lines no matter what you choose if adding. If there's plain air in there whatever the actual amount is you are just slowly destroying a charge IMO. Air is a total enemy to A/C refrigerants, all of them,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby GM Tech » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Who cares about how long they are...just "suck in" the refrigerant in your hoses after you charge your car... do this by shutting off high side at high side port, then open both valves and let low side suck in all liquid in the hose...they teach this in "a/c 101- basic refrigerant class"
'95 Chevy 3500 454 Dually 142,000 miles
'94 Chevy Astro Van 358,000 miles!
'86 Buick Park Ave 192,000 miles
'86 GMC S-15 Pick-up 150,000 miles
'92 Chevy Lumina Van - 265,000 miles- given to me to see how far it can go! all above are white!
GM Tech

Postby huntindog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:41 pm

GM Tech wrote:Who cares about how long they are...just "suck in" the refrigerant in your hoses after you charge your car... do this by shutting off high side at high side port, then open both valves and let low side suck in all liquid in the hose...they teach this in "a/c 101- basic refrigerant class"

I can see how this would work with 134a hoses... But not the R12 hoses I am talking about.
huntindog

Postby GM Tech » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:24 am

You mean you don't have check valves on the end of your R-12 hoses? This was mandatory when the new refrigerant laws came into being. I highly recommend them, no wasting of refrigerant, no purging of hoses needed, they hold vacuum when unhooked from car etc... sure are nice to use...and they open up when tightened down on your r-12 ports on car...
'95 Chevy 3500 454 Dually 142,000 miles
'94 Chevy Astro Van 358,000 miles!
'86 Buick Park Ave 192,000 miles
'86 GMC S-15 Pick-up 150,000 miles
'92 Chevy Lumina Van - 265,000 miles- given to me to see how far it can go! all above are white!
GM Tech

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:58 am

Assorted types out there and some good old sets like one set of my own, Robinare made by Snap/On are still the best but not check valve ends or right angles - you add those to existing hoses and have the required short ends for 134a so can use on all including now rare use of R-22. Tons of NOS bottle of all. Retired from this so they don't wear out or haven't.

Nobody recovers R-12 that I now of anymore near me. Machines that broke and junked so that over with for me personally - what others do fine.

I made up adaptors and unions to make hoses as long as I want so no issue. Can vacuum out all with plugs for parking spots so hoses are not holding any gas or air at all.

It's been a long time now with touching any of it but still have it and believe it works. Many sets once just kept hoses if any good and tossed cheap manifold gages themselves and the manifold itself.

Can use automotive brake line and cut hose, double clamp with neoprene sealer and they do hold for an assortment of adaptor ends.

Key is to know where there is gas, what areas are in vacuum and if in doubt spit some thru if charging. Second set to put liquid in thru high sides while held under vacuum thru low side and watch it go positive so know zero air could have entered from a total fill. Weight all and go nuts remembering just where you are.

Been some time now without big issues or problems at all. Just my own now or look at others and find leaks which I can with a lot of stuff to do so. It's all rare now and totally seasonal. All is stored and doesn't freeze but impossible to use when too cold out and products and tools are at about 40F isn't cooperative so just don't do stuff then but will vacuum out a destroyed system, charge with some and mark it when fixed to finish later.

What everyone has for equipment varies so each has to know what they are working with.

Legalities of venting gas. No or little need with a total blow out none left. If a charge use another shops recovery equipment for now just 134a with recharges of new product only. I don't want recoved or recycled product now antique working 12 stull just a couple don't confuse the situation with known contaminated recovered stuff with choices available.

This doesn't fit with everyone or their own stuff. Lots of guessing what folks are doing and using what?

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby huntindog » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 pm

GM Tech wrote:You mean you don't have check valves on the end of your R-12 hoses? This was mandatory when the new refrigerant laws came into being. I highly recommend them, no wasting of refrigerant, no purging of hoses needed, they hold vacuum when unhooked from car etc... sure are nice to use...and they open up when tightened down on your r-12 ports on car...

No check valves on any of my old hoses or the new ones.. The Gauge set isabout 30 years old.. Has had hoses replaced over the years. These new hoses appear to be of very high quality. I got them from a major AC supplier in Phoenix.

I like the 134A gauge hose setup. In fact I considered puting the 134A hookups on my last R12 job. But then I thought of the potential for some service guy down the road to see that, and assume it had 134A in it... Could cause a problem for my wife if I wasn't around any more to handle it.
huntindog

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:05 am

Quote >>"I like the 134A gauge hose setup. In fact I considered puting the 134A hookups on my last R12 job. But then I thought of the potential for some service guy down the road to see that, and assume it had 134A in it...<<"

Just that alone. I do use two sets or the retrofit fittings on R-12 OE vehicles as needed no longer going to buy the adaptor for the vehicle to hose things anymore BUT EITHER TAKE THEM OFF OR MARK THE CAR WITH WHAT REFRIGERANT IT'S USING!

Just do NOT allow them to mix if not for you for the next person - be nice,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Postby cornbinder89 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:28 am

I can't remember where I got them, but I have little short extensions on my hoses that have a 1/4 turn ball type shut off. turn the valve and draw off the high pressure, then turn the valve on the low side. When you remove, some gas is trapped, but it keeps the air out.
cornbinder89

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby huntindog » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:52 am

cornbinder89 wrote:I can't remember where I got them, but I have little short extensions on my hoses that have a 1/4 turn ball type shut off. turn the valve and draw off the high pressure, then turn the valve on the low side. When you remove, some gas is trapped, but it keeps the air out.

Now that is a great idea! If anyone knows where to get them.... I want some.
huntindog

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:24 am

Quick look for where to get just those came up empty? I bought that type right here now a while ago. No harm in looking up top and see if anything there at all?

Otherwise I use search engines like this...............

https://www.google.com/search?site=imgh ... +Gauge+set

Then if you right click or equivalent it shows where the picture comes from - just a picture or a store that sells what you want.

1/4 turn shut offs seem (check out there) out of date for knobs or self checking ends one set (high and low) just the tips under $8 on ebay.

In short the rule went into effect now over 20 years ago as GMTech said. The hoses or ends must be no longer than I think 6" or check like a tire valve right there.

Plain sets for ends are out there. Plain hoses without anything are out there too like you must have.

Just FYI if too much trouble try name brands like Yellow Jacket, Snap-On higher end stuff then, Quest, Interdynamics just two names. There are many.

Nice if you can get brass stuff and skip aluminum or alloys, plastic crap is really bad but out there.

Last check for the tool suppliers to local shops that come weekly by trucks. Many - Macs, Snap-On and others too,

Tom
(edit in what I have of many things)

Link to tools up top =

http://www.acsource.com/index.aspx#
MetroWest, Boston

Postby huntindog » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:02 am

huntindog

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 am

I like second ones better as well.

If $53 USD is an obstacle A/C work involving refrigerant isn't for you. Send things out to a pro A/C shop if you don't wish to buy/own the equipment.

You do realize just a simple air conditioning check up with pressures without any repair could easily cost over $100 bucks or does where I live,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Postby huntindog » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:40 am

Tom Greenleaf wrote:I like second ones better as well.

If $53 USD is an obstacle A/C work involving refrigerant isn't for you. Send things out to a pro A/C shop if you don't wish to buy/own the equipment.

You do realize just a simple air conditioning check up with pressures without any repair could easily cost over $100 bucks or does where I live,

T

Money is an obstacle for everyone at some point... I understand that Yellow Jacket is some of the best stuff available.... If their is no more reasonable priced ones available, then I will pay the price. But I really don't need the Caddilac of shutoff valves if a Ford or Chevy is out there.

People drive all sorts of cars. The people who drive a Ford or a Chevy get to work just like the ones that drive Caddilacs.

At this point, I am mainly concerned with which ones will fit my hoses, and R12 service ports. Those two links are obviously fittings with different threads. Maybe neither one will do the job. Or one of them.
But definantly not both of them
huntindog

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 am

What vehicles are you working on? R-12 if OE still with OE fittings frequently use different size threads for high side service ports requiring adaptors to fit common threads of hoses meant for use with at least R-12 and R-22 usually used in in stationary A/C applications.

The adaptors now over 20 years ago for just GM high side and a smaller for Ford high side ports cost me over $50 for just those 1 inch small items by Snap-On at the time the easiest and fastest to acquire. Both have failed and leak so don't use them at all anymore so use with some Silicone grease on threads to defeat "thread locker" of the retrofit adaptors for R-134a use those for service or just pressure readings then take them off.

True - the threaded ports do leak out some refrigerant on the original ports more than just the 'spit' of the ACME quick connects of standard 134a ports.

For many model years it was mostly just GM and Ford with different high side threaded ports and most others the same size as low side ports - Chrysler products and most so called foreign vehicles.

Tools of a trade can be more or less money for the same things hopefully you get durability for a higher prices whatever tools you use.

IDK what more to say except that tools and a place to work at all is usually expensive. I live where A/C is increasingly needed both buildings and vehicles by designs not so well suited to do without like many years ago a LOT of people would opt out of A/C for vehicles that came with it as standard equipment as a "credit option" on exactly the division name Cadillac. Vehicles almost all had true outside air vents to floors and vent windows front and some in the rear as well.

Time flies - to opt for A/C in a vehicle was once 1/3rd the cost of the whole car so not so cheap from new and complicated work or service on other routine things.

Nobody is forcing you to own a car or have A/C at all. If it is out pricing you at what really is just pocket change for this trade then do without.

If you are at a stalemate over a few hundred dollars of equipment that's a problem of its own you have to deal with. Just having your own vehicle is costly in most people's budget. Repair of anything isn't always cost effective to DIY things vs hiring it done.

Lost with this. If owning things is out of reach find out what can be rented in your area. Many parts outlets rent assorted tools and equipment free for 100% deposits for safe return but for anything using R-12 is unlikely now,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Postby huntindog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:54 pm

The adaptors now over 20 years ago for just GM high side and a smaller for Ford high side ports cost me over $50 for just those 1 inch small items by Snap-On

I have one of those I purchased when I got he gauges many years ago... I did not pay anywhere close to $50.00 for it. I doubt I paid more than $5.00.
I just used it a couple of weeks ago, and it still works great.
Now I am not saying that it would hold up to a pros constant use, but it has served me well as an occasional user.

I did find some ball valves like the yellow jackets I posted earlier. Identical except for the name. Less than half the price. I am sure that they will serve me well.
huntindog

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:11 pm

I paid for Snap-On, aka Rip-Off ones! They leaked to put on then again a spit for the hose and again when removing those when they worked. Both thrown out by now and were lifetime warranty but don't care - have the quick retrofit adaptors work fine. There's so much garbage I did or made up custom.

Just a couple R-12 things left and house is R-22 but hasn't needed to be touched so I don't!

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions