High high side pressure (restricted condensor)?

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

High high side pressure (restricted condensor)?

Postby jds8086 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:48 am

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3

Having issues with High high side pressures, even after putting just 12oz in the 38oz system the high side pressure is well over 200psi, with 24oz over 300psi. Low side stays around 40-45psi. I have cleaned the condenser and it appears to not have any airflow restriction, the motor is not getting hot, and the fans work. I used a fan in front of the vehicle as well. I just installed a new compressor (old compressor was not pumping one bit), i also replaced the drier and the TXV. I ran cleaner threw the condenser (internal) and i noticed when i blew it out with the air gun it seemed restricted, as in if i just pushed the trigger on the air gun for a second then removed the gun from the line i would get a good burst of air coming back out of the line. Should it have some restriction or be able to flow enough to keep up with an air gun?

Now one thing that is confusing me is that i believe it is the condenser, but, the high side port is after the condenser, not before. Wouldn't this show lower than normal pressure on the downside of a restriction or am i thinking of this wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank You
jds8086

Favorite Refrigerant: r134a

Re: High high side pressure (restricted condensor)?

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Welcome to this site: Unfortunately same response as I would have from CarJunky so let it wait for another's suggestions here which may be slow.

This is what you already got from the CarJunky site. You probably are not going to get some sugar coated answer other than what's there from here. You messed up doing it yourself and need to start over - THAT'S THE PROBLEM THAT MAKES A/C NOT DIY FRIENDLY,

Tom

Link to other thread at another site same topic......

http://autoforums.carjunky.com/Automoti ... 9_P181867/
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby cornbinder89 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:39 pm

jds8086 wrote:2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3

Now one thing that is confusing me is that i believe it is the condenser, but, the high side port is after the condenser, not before. Wouldn't this show lower than normal pressure on the downside of a restriction or am i thinking of this wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank You

You are thinking like you are compressing air, you are not! Your are compressing a condensable gas. (high side) Pressure in a A/C is determined by the temp of the gas when it condenses. Because your condenser isn't doing its job removing heat) what little gas you have is remaining gas and HOT. There isn't enough gas in the system to go real high, but I bet if you got it full it would blow a hose or the safety valve if it has one.
CHANGE the condenser, like everybody says and hope you haven't damaged the new compressor. You might have to change the new compressor and everything else if it has been run for any time.
If you had a port on the outlet of the compressor, it would show even higher pressure than you are seeing on the outlet of the condenser.
cornbinder89

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby jds8086 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Thank you for your responses. I replaced the condenser, pulled vacuum, recharged and still have high high side pressure. I'm about to give up on this one.I can't feel any temperature change in the lines and the compressor, TXV and drier are new. Any other ideas. Thank you
jds8086

Favorite Refrigerant: r134a

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:23 am

Sorry it didn't work out with just a condenser. Chances are it just can't throw heat off and could be full of debris again that quickly.

The end all is the components just keep wrecking each other so just playing ping-pong you never get there. Flushes don't flush out these condensers so they are rubbish each time.

May only be a spoonful of junk moving around getting caught up at the first blocking spot in this case the condenser.

Not a DIY friendly thing and costly to fail to learn that. The shocking quotes you may have already had to send this out and be done with it probably look better all the time now unfortunately.

Link to other site and back and forth if you follow this or continue on is again..................

http://autoforums.carjunky.com/Automoti ... 9_P181867/

This site may not last too long just FYI.

For this problem that is repeatedly biting you probably time to do without if an option or send it out and pay the price. I'm concerned it's wrecked all over again and could be yet again - a problem with this game that isn't amusing.

Be well, take care,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions