'93 Ford E350 - Nitrogen pressure testing and recharge

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

Re: '93 Ford E350 - Nitrogen pressure testing and recharge

Postby cornbinder89 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:09 am

They are different than the one I have been getting then. Either way they should take a std core.
cornbinder89

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby rgnprof » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Ok - a recharge update!

Used r134a - I shot for 80% of 56ozs, and think I got really close, probably right around 44ozs (definitely less than 4 12oz cans). At idle, low side is 38psi, high side is 230psi and at 1500 rpm (just guessing here), low side drops to 28psi and high side goes to 275-285 psi - ambient temperature right now is 84F (temps measured right in front of condenser are 92-94F).

Vent temps aren't "freezing", but in the low 50's - just at idle.

How does this sound?

Ryan
rgnprof

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:34 pm

FINALLY! You are good IMO. Reason for non mid 40s or high 30'sF vent temps is return air is just not cool enough and wont be in such a large area. Like driving with windows open it's maxed out BTUs possible.

I need a week to write a comprehensive way to know you have reached the magic charge amount to behave the best at assorted temps and conditions. For laughs have done my own just because almost gram by gram up and down, drive around block and check all again for hours to achieve that.

OK - I think on a cooler day in general and moving along for some time unknown but not right away you'll really see that drop to the mid 40sF center vent the way it is now.

Watch engine temps if possible I think this has a gauge? Not accuracy so much as steady, all the time - no creeping up at a stop light, stop sign or in traffic. May not cool as well but engine must stay stable. If now stressed with warmer condenser it can radiate heat more than your radiator/engine heat added can do. This isn't hot for a layout like this just warning that you cooling system isn't up to par and should know it.

How many RPM will count driving or for sure sitting still. No surprise about it, compressor isn't turning as fast so normal,

Good luck. Don't go get greedy and add more but rather observe as much as possible day by day how it performs if there's more that should be considered otherwise be happy - that's about what I'd expect of this,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby rgnprof » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Well, been on the road for the past couple of days. While it's not been extremely hot on the days we've been traveling - 80's low 90s - I've had steady vent temps from 40 to 44 degrees. I'm pretty happy with that!

Thanks to you for all of your help!

Ryan
rgnprof

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Not just good, perfect! You really don't want lower vent temps than that and some you could force it but would freeze up evaporator.

Unless ridiculously dry air this should be putting out lots of condensate constantly more proof you are good.

Keep watching behavior. I'm a nut and do constantly outside up front and center vents on now OLD vehicles. Don't want troubles but when it's not right can catch it right away without trashing a system.

Whatever your thermos you can put a pen clip or a binder clamp to hold it on a vent.

1993 - sounds great. Good luck with it for long lasting,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Previous

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions