Determining Charge Level With Missing Data

Moderators: Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, ACProf, acsource

Re: Determining Charge Level With Missing Data

Postby Archibald Menzies » Thu May 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Well, with some hot days behind us I must say it works but is not great. Not like the regular old Ford systems that would freeze you out on low blower speed.

At high blower and idle vehicle not moving it is not enough to cool the cab down from a hot soak. That is not really news but a stock Ford would.

Once you get moving it works good enough. I have to back the blower down from 4 (high) to 3 and then to 2. But it never gets to 1 like an old Ford.

The other annoyance is the freeze switch. Once it gets cold enough to start cycling the switch the vent temps warm quite a bit during the off cycle. If I adjust it any colder then it will freeze up under low load conditions.

If it ever has a major failure I may replace the low side parts with a CCOT setup but until then, it works as good as it can, and I am not spending more money on it.
Archibald Menzies

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Thu May 19, 2016 5:19 pm

OK - started page two in my view so can't look back fast.

Couple notes only as this is so unique I can't suggest what to change with what is already there but it should freeze you out at almost any temp or something isn't perfect. What exactly I don't know.

Notes: All my regular drivers are both old with excellent A/C one still OE R-12. I have wired remote thermometers measuring actual air temp while moving is accurate (engine heat can get to them if still) and another in a center vent all the time watching just for the info of it and if consistently not as expected know to check before they wreck a compressor - both original still.

The fan speed is a game kinda. Most vehicles since about 1968 I think the law went in must exchange interior air every so many seconds or minutes I forget but not all that long. Look at the vents inside front door jams - that's what they are for! That means you are fighting ambient and recirculating isn't close to 100% vs "fresh" air mode. Other wise your fan speed really wouldn't matter so much as it would always have the same BTU of cooling just less fan so would and all mine do read cooler on lower fan if warm enough out. Same BTUs produced - has to be. What you lose in fresh hotter air and heat from lack of a vehicle being very well insulated at all matters also when driving along as the metal and glass aren't hotter from sun as much as sitting still or real slow speeds.

One thing with your set up I don't understand is why the long cycle off time? That thermal switch is either a poor design or not located or adjusted properly. Just look at how fast pressures go up when you turn a system off on purpose if you have. That pressure is then the temp so if iced up melts fast unless out of control and works again for some time if ice at all. I don't know of cycling system when really working an air conditioning system that cycles that much unless it's just cooler outside and done its job. It's not meant to nor should blow so cold as to freeze lines or evaporator. If so it risks returning liquid to compressor as well which could kill it or at least lock up and squeal a belt real good.

Sorry for the novels of writing I do. There's just so many factors that alter performance it's out of hand. Humidity, sun strength, heat of road surface, speed of vehicle, altitude also if a factor. Add that an average human being is adding about 2,000 BTUs of heat so the more people the harder to cool!

Almost all really want correct charge for what they are AND most important for heat exchange will be the condenser so the better the fan the better for cooling but real strong ones IMO are annoying to listen to and some don't let go when not needed by vehicle speed enough or fast enough for my liking. I can feel that in some,

Tom
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby Archibald Menzies » Sun May 22, 2016 4:25 am

Let's focus on the thermostatic switch for a moment.

On high fan settings it does not operate of course because there is enough warm air coming in that it stays over the setpoint.

On mid to low settings I have adjusted it (and boy did it take a lot of playing around) so that it is as cold as possible without eventually accumulating ice and freezing up. I have it right on the verge.

It is very possible that it is a bad design. I don't know.

As for placement, it is buried in the fins of the evaporator right near the center.
Archibald Menzies

Postby Tom Greenleaf » Sun May 22, 2016 11:51 am

Ya - I understand the high fan speed will exchange more heat and lower fan speeds allow more "residence" time to do so. What this doesn't seem to allow is that incoming air isn't always warm air or the same temp and should be a way to control how much flow for what temperature it's dealing with. If only manual then it's operator discretion as it seems to be now. Fine but a compromise that no system I know have would have.

Perfect is the flow self adjusts to the condition at the time. With CCOT catches the overflow or shuts down - two ways in common use one at time not both on same system but OE dual air usually uses CCOT for fronts and "X" valves for rear which is a real twist of choosing a charge weight such that both operate. Not the set up here just it's common for those set up to do that,

T
MetroWest, Boston

Favorite Refrigerant: R-12+134a

Postby Archibald Menzies » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:59 am

Well now that it is close to 100 here it cools pretty good. It was heat soaked in the sun and after a while I had to back the fan down from high to #3. If it is shady it might get to #2 after a while. #1 fan (low) is pretty much worthless though.

It's OK with me. It works almost good enough. It works as good as it can. If it has any problems, they are insufficient total capacity or insufficient evap size. But I am not going to reengineer the whole thing at this point.

It just doesn't have that classic Ford give-you-a-headache cold. If I ever have a major failure it would be easy enough to change to a FFOT/new evap/suction accumulator/pressure switch setup. Until then, I will not mess with it.
Archibald Menzies

Previous

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions