'96 honda passport ac condenser freezes up

Moderators: ACProf, Nacho, Tom Greenleaf, acsource

'96 honda passport ac condenser freezes up

Postby chenning » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:34 pm

I have a 1996 Honda Passport. AC runs about an hour and condenser seems to freeze up. You can feel it under the front passenger dashboard. Compressor and fan runs but no air blows in to vehicle. Unit will thaw when vehicle is off and resume working. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem and if so where to begin?
chenning

Postby 03silverado » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:03 pm

I am sure someone will reply with the anwser for the fix to your problem but I thought I would chime in with my knowledge.

The item you speak if under the dash is the Evaporator.

The condensor is is front of your radiator.

Is that the only part freezing or if you look under your hood, are any of the lines also freezing?

Do you have guages to see what your pressure readings are?

Hav you recently recharged your ac system or done anywork to it?

Anwsering those questions will help those on here be able to better diagnose youe issue
03silverado

As long as...

Postby Nacho » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:31 am

compressor cycles on and off, a little frost is ok. If airflow is impaired, then you may have an evaporator temperature control problem.
Nacho

Favorite Refrigerant: R134a

Postby Duane in Japan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:36 am

See if you have a two wire connector on the outside of your evaperator caase under the dash, this will be the evaperator fin temperature probe, it is a veriable resistor that monitors fin temperature by changing its resistance as it gets colder, it has a negative coefficient meaning that as the temperature gets lower the resistance gets higher. I think your resistance is not getting high enough and the compressor is staying on too long allowing the water condensation that builds up on the evaperator to freeze. Normally the AC Amplifier will monitor this resistance and cycle the compressor automatically to keep the evaperator from freezing up and killing air flow. Do you have the air switch to recirculate or fresh air, it probably does not matter in your case but one will bring in more fresh humid air while the other will continue to dry the internal air again and again and act as a dehumidifier within the car. Just for diagnosis yuo can go to your local Radio Shack and see if they want to learn something new, get the car cold, quickly turn off power and disconnect the two wire plug and measure the resistance of the fin probe (use this as a base line reference, you will need more resistance than this to kill the compressor) and substitute a variable resistor (potentiometer) in the cars harness and see if you can get the compressor to turn off manually at a certain setting. This could be a permanent fix or last until you are forced to go into the evaperator case for additional repairs. The store sales people will know what I just said so print this out and give it to them. I drive a 1995 Odyssey and my fin probe will only allow my temps down to 14C. Most cars go down to 6C in my area this time of year.
Duane in Japan
Tachikawa Shi, Tokyo
Duane in Japan

Return to A/C Questions and Opinions